Splitting a Peak

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Splitting a Peak

Postby Bud » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:56 am

Blue wants to back door this peak, that perfectly makeable deeep barrel going right, but it means denying Red the wave and the left goes unridden.

Is Blue a dick?

blahlah

Postby blahlah » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:25 am

If all of the following are equal:

*both take off/stand up at the same time
*both paddled for it just as long
*both have been catching same amount of waves
*both surf Rocky's same amount (neither is more "local")
*both are same size and a fight between them would be a draw :D
*blue did not snake/jockey red by paddling inside of him right before the wave came; AND
*red wasn't planning on doing the same thing going left) . . .

blue would not, in my opinion, be a dick. He would have every right to go.

But if any of the factors above are not equal, it would be less clear and more of a "grey" area.
Brah, it's just like, just get the best barrels ever dude. Just like, pull in, just get spit right out of it, drop in & just smack the lip, WHUH-PACK!! Drop in, BARAAH!!! Then after that, just riding the barrel & get pitted, SO PITTED, like that.

maleko

Postby maleko » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:02 pm

blue is a dick if he never bothered to try to communicate to little ol' red rider in which way he was gonna go....................................but then again......................never talk to strangers.
Everybody talkin, talkin , talkin dat trash

Kelly7873

Postby Kelly7873 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:22 pm

I agree with blahlah except I don't think Blue would be a dick, just not as nice as he could be. Blue's wave, he's deeper and it's a better wave.

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:35 pm

Uh, Glad my board is white ??????

8) 8) 8)
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

lgz

Postby lgz » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:43 pm

blue should just be thinking about going left and sharing the energy.
spliting the peak is cool, and u utilize the entire peaks potential.

i think most reds would burn blue if blue wanted to go right which would make red the dick.

kelly 7873

Postby kelly 7873 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:19 am

Back dooring the peak is equal to about 10 down the line shoulder rides that's why I think it would be asking a lot of Blue to go left.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:38 am

DId he make the section/drop? Cause if he didnt I would be so mad...

If he did make it i gotta admit if I was red and blue did that more than once or twice I would have words with him. Especially if blue jockeyed to my left after being on my right side.
Because even though we are of equal size and a fight would be a draw on a normal circumstance remember I would be pissed :evil: and in my personal experience the more pissed guy usually wins (thought process goes out the window when your really pissed off).

I would let the dude know next time he tried to pull that crap I would be taking the wave no matter what and he better go left.

I dont take Backdoor action, go Backdoor someone else :lol: (pun intended)

I agree with LGZ, so I guess i'm a dick but I think blue is being a dick after doing that twice.

bobblehead

blue vs red

Postby bobblehead » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:16 am

sorry guys, esp prs, not only does blue have right of way, any red who would drop in is a wuss with no ability, and would deserve getting run over. Now if red wanted to go left it would be a little more interesting as a mid tube collision could take out both jerk offs leaving more waves for me. ;flame;
USUCKIRULE!!!

red

Postby red » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:57 am

if the left goes unridden then blue is a dick

Kelly7873

Postby Kelly7873 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:08 am

Puerto_Rico_Surfer wrote:DId he make the section/drop? Cause if he didnt I would be so mad...

Why would you get mad? Do you make every drop? If you do where's the fun? If he repeatedly doesn't make it then that's a different story.
If he did make it i gotta admit if I was red and blue did that more than once or twice I would have words with him. Especially if blue jockeyed to my left after being on my right side.
Because even though we are of equal size and a fight would be a draw on a normal circumstance remember I would be pissed and in my personal experience the more pissed guy usually wins (thought process goes out the window when your really pissed off).

I would let the dude know next time he tried to pull that crap I would be taking the wave no matter what and he better go left.

You would get pissed because Blue can take off deeper and can surf better then you? What's this shit about fighting? Fighting has no place in surfing except to defend yourself. You're talking like a poser who just reads about surfing and think being agro and fighting is a part of surfing. It isn't, at least not around here.

If you don't like what Blue is doing paddle deeper next time or start going left. The story would be different if the wave was an A-frame peak with the left and right about equal quality. Then Blue should let you know which way he's going so you have time to get in position to go the other way.

olly

Postby olly » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:22 am

hey... that's an unridden wave at rocky point! red and blue should be stoked they've got it to themselves. :D
if blue goes right, red can paddle over and get the next wave and everyone is happy.
blue is not a dick. he's put himself in the better position. :)
Last edited by olly on Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

uncle

Postby uncle » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:34 am

If I'm red, I'm outpositioned anyway. I'd ask him, if he's going right, then go look for one out the back, paddle deeper and backdoor one of my own.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:18 pm

Ok Kelly, lets get a couple things straight.

Why would I be mad, because the mofo wasted the left which I would be more than willing to take if he wanted to go right.

In that situation the reason i would be going right is to not be a dick and go left leaving him with no wave.

You would get pissed because Blue can take off deeper and can surf better then you?
Iam not getting pissed off because he surfs better than me but because he is being inconsiderate. Besides I thought this exercise was made under the assumption of all things being equal--meaning skill also.

The only thing that I thought of in my mind that probably noone else was thinking was, if this was the last wave of a set and there is a good wait between sets, plus maybe only a couple of waves in the set so the wave count is sparse???how would I feel in such a situation and so that is how I came up with my thought process.

And jack offs that normally pull stunts like that are the same aggro dudes that when they paddle out think every wave is theirs and ruin the whole vibe in a lineup. Now I am not saying all guys are like that but in my experience most are.

Plus I surf very well and can easily take off behind the peak, but why do it? when i can just as well go the other way( right) letting the second guy go left. I still drop in, stall, set my line and still get a nice ride. And I am being considerate of him.

What's this shit about fighting? Fighting has no place in surfing except to defend yourself. You're talking like a poser who just reads about surfing and think being agro and fighting is a part of surfing. It isn't, at least not around here.
How come all the nasty beat downs I hear about or read about alot of times seem to come out of HI? And did I say I would hit him? No I said I would have words with him, the comment about the fighting was just a comment-what I meant by it was that if it did come to blows then the guy that is more pissed generally wins if all other things are equal. Oh and I am defending myself, I am defending my right to have an enjoyable session without having some jerk pull crap like that. because even though you said well then paddle more to the left, guys like that then will also go left on you and now they really do have right of way so you cant win...

The story would be different if the wave was an A-frame peak with the left and right about equal quality.
I dont know about Rocky point, but the way I looked at the photo and situation presented I figured we were talking A FRAME both waves being equal.

Let me ask a question. What do you think would happen if I said I was going left and he said right we both dont back off and do drop in and we slam into each other under the lip?---I think that would garauntee an instant fight or close to it. So wouldnt it be better to have a talk with the guy prior let him know what you think and then say dude next time go left cause I am gonna go right, that way we can both be happy.

I agree with blahlah except I don't think Blue would be a dick, just not as nice as he could be. Blue's wave, he's deeper
What happens if Red calls left then whose wave is it? Red is equally deep.
Last edited by Puerto_Rico_Surfer on Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:27 pm

And yes I do shoot the backdoor sometimes and usually only when it wont affect somone else unless its a friend or somone I at least know and have seen in the water before and knows me but i wouldnt do it to a stranger--- I am perfectly set up and its a sure thing that i'll make it and get a great tube , but generally i dont because I try to be considerate of others.

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”